Re: Oracle Closed World

From: TheBoss <TheBoss_at_invalid.nl>
Date: 24 Jun 2012 22:37:03 GMT

"Gerard H. Pille" <ghp_at_skynet.be> wrote in news:4fe766ee$0$3104$ba620e4c_at_news.skynet.be:
> Robert Klemme wrote:

>>> Not with SQL?
>>
>> No, never!! ;-)
>>
>> My badly worded point was that a procedural solution often cannot be
>> optimized the same way a single query can - for example because the
>> query then is spread across a number of different queries. Or data is
>> aggregated in a temp table and then processed further which creates
>> more IO etc.
>>

> I know, Robert, I know, just kidding.  I know people who'd call two
> functions to retrieve two columns from the same record.

I wonder what dbms they use.
As relational ones do have columns but no records (they have rows), and hierarchical (like IMS) do have records but no columns (they have fields), they probably use a hybrid, hierarcho-relational dbms, with HSQL (or DL/2?) as the language to manage the data stored in segment tables...

--
Jeroen