Re: Oracle Closed World

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:30:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:42:16 +1000, Noons wrote:

> Definitely. I started to see the writing in the wall with MSSQL 2005.
> That was the first leapfrog from MS. And SQLStudio is such a much
> better admin tool than EM it defies any possible comparison.
>
> It's been non-stop improvements from MS since then. There is a company
> that L-I-S-T-E-N-S. Intead of blaming others for its faults.
>
> Oracle wasted the last 7 years in adding to con-fusion and trying to
> make java survive while blaming everything else wrong on the "expensive"
> dbas.
> I'm sure at one stage "climate change" was also blamed on us.
> As if their software was ever cheap and/or easy to use...

I must say, after all these years of working with Oracle, that I agree with you. I met so many people at Oracle that seemed to be open and have the sense of the user community, but it has all vanished into thin air. I remember Goff Squire, Chris Ellis, Richard Barker, Anjo Kolk and many others. I am aware that those names do not mean much to many of you, but they used to.
Oracle Corp. turned into very monster it purported to fight against (Microsoft, IBM). At the same time, with the curious twist of fate, those two companies evolved into much more user friendly entities than Oracle.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com