Re: Oracle Closed World

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:42:16 +1000

Mark D Powell wrote,on my timestamp of 23/06/2012 12:30 AM:

> When it comes to Oracle vs SQL Server vs DB2 I have to
> admit that MS SQL Server 2008 is pretty good and 2012
> is probably even better.

I'd skip the probably and go for definitely.  From what I've seen so far, it's as good as anything.

> MS is adding the internal views and tracing that Oracle provides

 > and you can get some pretty decent Intel based hardware these
 > days so the gap has definitely narrowed in what you can
 > successfully accomplish with the databases.

Definitely. I started to see the writing in the wall with MSSQL 2005. That was the first leapfrog from MS. And SQLStudio is such a much better admin tool than EM it defies any possible comparison.

It's been non-stop improvements from MS since then. There is a company that L-I-S-T-E-N-S. Intead of blaming others for its faults.

Oracle wasted the last 7 years in adding to con-fusion and trying to make java survive while blaming everything else wrong on the "expensive" dbas. I'm sure at one stage "climate change" was also blamed on us. As if their software was ever cheap and/or easy to use...

> I like and understand Oracle better, but which database is better
 > depends more on which database your developers know how to  > use intelligently rather than on the capabilities of the database itself.

Same here. Entirely agreed.

 > No matter how technically advanced the rdbms is, bad design can
> bring it to its knees and make it look bad.

In a nutshell: bingo! Received on Sat Jun 23 2012 - 05:42:16 CDT

Original text of this message