Re: Oracle Closed World

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:28:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 22, 11:41 am, Mladen Gogala
<gogala.REMOVETHISmla..._at_google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:30:18 -0700, Mark D Powell wrote:
> > When it comes to Oracle vs SQL Server vs DB2 I have to admit that MS SQL
> > Server 2008 is pretty good and 2012 is probably even better.  MS is
> > adding the internal views and tracing that Oracle provides and you can
> > get some pretty decent Intel based hardware these days so the gap has
> > definitely narrowed in what you can successfully accomplish with the
> > databases.
>
> > I like and understand Oracle better, but which database is better
> > depends more on which database your developers know how to use
> > intelligently rather than on the capabilities of the database itself.
> > No matter how technically advanced the rdbms is, bad design can bring it
> > to its knees and make it look bad.
>
> > IMHO -- Mark D Powell --
>
> My very brief encounter with SQL Server happened in the year 2002, so it
> might not reflect the current state of SQL Server technology. Do you have
> a book that you would recommend to an old oraclite to learn SQL Server?
> This seems to be a very sought after skill, even in the world of Oracle DBA
> people. I have worked with MySQL 5.1, 5.2 and 5.5, PostgreSQL 8.3, 8.4,
> 9.0 and 9.1 and Oracle, from the version 4.1 until the version 11.2.0.3.
> SQL Server probably shouldn't be that hard.
>
> --http://mgogala.freehos tia.com

No idea if it is any good, but:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press/archive/2012/03/15/free-ebook-introducing-microsoft-sql-server-2012.aspx

If you are into quality-by-association check out http://www.red-gate.com/community/books/ (the association being things like
http://www.red-gate.com/products/oracle-development/schema-compare-for-oracle/education/webinars/webinar-tom-kyte-oracle-implicit-conversions-sql-skullduggery?utm_source=allthingsoracle&utm_medium=email&utm_content=webinars&utm_campaign=schemacomparefororacle ).

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jun/21/urination-tickets-saturate-pacific-beach/