Re: Oracle Closed World

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:30:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, June 22, 2012 8:37:32 AM UTC-4, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:39:06 -0700, joel garry wrote:
>

> > 2nd: "Do you really want to start an Oracle vs SQL Server debate on a
> > CNN forum"
>
> There is no such debate any more. People are buying SQL Server just
> because of the exorbitant Oracle prices. The only database that can go
> head to head with Oracle is DB2.
>

> --
> http://mgogala.byethost5.com

When it comes to Oracle vs SQL Server vs DB2 I have to admit that MS SQL Server 2008 is pretty good and 2012 is probably even better. MS is adding the internal views and tracing that Oracle provides and you can get some pretty decent Intel based hardware these days so the gap has definitely narrowed in what you can successfully accomplish with the databases.

I like and understand Oracle better, but which database is better depends more on which database your developers know how to use intelligently rather than on the capabilities of the database itself. No matter how technically advanced the rdbms is, bad design can bring it to its knees and make it look bad.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Jun 22 2012 - 09:30:18 CDT

Original text of this message