Re: DBWR performance

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 18:21:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 09 May 2012 08:34:38 -0700, andrew.protasov wrote:

> Apparently all results were with deadline scheduler in place. I did this
> before the first test:
> tuned-adm profile enterprise-storage
> and it installed the scheduler.
> Andrew

Tuned is showing a lot of promise, but I don't think it's there yet. I use preload on my Ubuntu laptop and the effects are less than staggering. With a single-purpose machine like a database server, I prefer doing the tuning myself. On such machines, I am turning off the OOM killer by setting vm.overcommit_memory to 1, I usually increase the amount of available free memory by setting min_free_kbytes and swappiness to 60. I don't really trust all those AI tuning daemons when it comes to a single purpose machine. If you have a racing car, then you don't want a tuning daemon that will tune it so that the oil lasts for 1000 miles and that tires last for 2 years. You want the car to go as fast as possible and win the race, to heck with the tires and oil. I don't have much faith in the NI (Natural Intelligence) either, much less in the form of intelligence created by the members of the same species as Meg Whitman or Lindsay Lohan.