Re: Itanic is sinking

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 01:28:57 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 18 May 2012 14:49:46 -0700, joel garry wrote:

> Remember, in the world of Republicans, cutting expenses raises stock
> prices and helps the economy through magical Laffing Curves.

I don't think that republicans are much to blame for the current HP woes. Neither are democrats. I don't see any connection with politics, at all. Truth is that HP leadership doesn't have any technological vision. Bush and Clinton didn't mess up their product line. HP did that to themselves. It was Carly Fiorina who turned the company into the printer and laptop company, not Meg Whitman. Meg only applies the same unimaginative therapy as everybody else: layoffs. Well, layoffs will not distinguish HP from their competitors. Only engineering and technological vision could do that. Unfortunately, it looks like technological vision is missing from HP. With layoffs, the last employee will eventually turn the lights out, before he or she is laid off, and the company will slowly pass into the legend. It's a darned shame, it was one of the pioneers of the RISC revolution. PA RISC was running circles around Intel chips, for a very, very long time. I still remember the shock when I executed "uptime" command on one HP-UX 9 running model 9000 and the answer that came back was "2733 days". GLanceplus was light years ahead of top. OmniBack used to be excellent.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com