Re: Itanic is sinking

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 15:33:11 -0700 (PDT)

On May 18, 2:43 pm, John Hurley <johnthehur..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Mladen"
>
> # HP is cutting 30,000 jobs, starting next week. I wonder how much of
> that is because of betting the company future on the failed chip and
> how much of it is because of "Midas touch
>
> We are just buying 2 new itanium app servers if this makes you feel
> better?

With all the abuse we've taken at the hands of Oracle, our decision makers are now evaluating whether to continue on with our current bankrupt app provider, which means an upgrade nearly as complex as new stuff, or several others. It seems all groups will be pushing away from Oracle, though I suspect the upgrade route would keep us rearranging deck chairs for at least a couple more years, and a conversion elsewhere could realistically take as long, including decision and preparation time. Either way, more spread of new stuff than I feel comfortable with at this point in my life, but that's hardly a complaint. There's also a small possibility of do-nothing stabilize where we are, I'm thinking that may not last long if it happens, we've already got disks older than they should be for production.

> Don't think hp futures or trajectory is based much on itanium ...

Yeah, their troubles are really PC based for the most part.

> Do you think Mark Hurd can keep his hands off the cookie jar ( or fill
> in the blank )?

I don't think wandering hands are considered a negative in those circles. http://gawker.com/5454315/oracle-president-admits-to-affair-with-woman-from-mystery-billboards http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/punishment091698.htm

And they pass the cookie jar around there. http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1341439/000119312510205818/dex1028.htm

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.