Re: My RMAN script of full backup

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 18:22:46 -0700 (PDT)

On May 3, 7:53 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.REMOVETHISmla..._at_google.com> wrote:

> Well, when I said "SQL Tuning", I had in mind help to developers.
> Applications grow, objects are added, data models change, rarely for the
> better, things get messy. I am usually a go-to person when there is a
> problem like this: this query runs for 3 minutes and it needs to be put
> into a user facing web application. A user will not wait for 3 minutes,
> period. Can you make it complete in 10 seconds or less? Tricks like
> clustering and result cache come in handy.

Indeed. Same here. Most of the time the developers get away with the tuning features in Toad and SQLDeveloper. Actually, the last few dozen development SQL problems I got involved with were caused by our release of Toad doing by default "ANALYZE TABLE" instead of "exec dbms_stats.gather_table_stats". I've now asked Oracle to find me an event trap to disable the ANALYZE command completely: it's at the root of most SQL tuning problems I get involved with!

> A long time ago, the most
> expensive statement on the system was, believe it or not, "SELECT 1 FROM
> DUAL".
Got one of those as well. Third party BI tool that uses a PL/SQL timer 1 second delay all over the place. So, what's the longest wait event in my AWR and statspack reports, by a country mile? The PL/SQL timer, of course! (groan)
I'm interested in hearing what "auto-everything-to-replace-the-dba" would do with that?...

> There are quite a few unscrupulous consultants around. Pushing for RAC/ASM
> in every situation is probably the best warning sign. I love asking
> consultants for references. If I don't get a number of their clients, I

Too right. I wish I had a dollar for every bloody idiot that has waltzed in here in the last 5 years claiming we should be on RAC/ASM/ OCM/bloody-whatever - sight unseen and without even asking how/what do we run or to see a statspack/awr report...

> know that there is a problem. As for Skynet, I like that chick that was
> playing T3. Keeping a face like that must be hard.

Hehehe! Too right! Received on Wed May 02 2012 - 20:22:46 CDT

Original text of this message