Re: pl/sql application build & release

From: John Hurley <johnthehurley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 06:08:44 -0700 (PDT)

jeremy:

# Hi just wondering if anyone could shed any light on good tools for managing the build and release of PL/SQL-based applications.

I tend to do this manually using at times schema comparison tools ( like Toad does with DBA module available ) for double/sanity checking. I like to end up with shell scripts that I can execute with a couple of parameters ( including ORACLE_SID ) so that the exact same script base goes against different instances.

Both Toad and SQL Navigator ( both from Quest although I have not used SQL Navigator for like 10 years ) have somewhat customizable tools that can produce scripts to synchronize schemas. Obviously you have to be extremely careful in looking at and testing/verifying any output from tools generating stuff like that.

Oracle also has some of its own tools ( licensable packs I think ) that play in this area but no experience in the last 10 years using any of that.

Hope this helps somewhat and I am sure some other people will report back what they are doing in their environments. Received on Tue May 01 2012 - 08:08:44 CDT

Original text of this message