Re: Oracle 10g = bloatware?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:43:11 +0100

"Mladen Gogala" <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:jm76s0$pq1$2_at_solani.org...
| On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:10:35 -0700, Matthias Hoys wrote:
| >
| > This is a table from APEX - there are about 6800 records for 4 years of
| > usage. Mostly inserts, no updates, some deletes... The tablespace is
| > indeed using ASSM, with automatic extent allocation...
| >
| > Matthias
|
| Both 900MB and 200MB seem like an enormous allocation for 6800 records.

If the chunksize was set to 32KB then

    6,800 * 32768 / 1048576 = 212.5

So 200MB would be perfectly reasonable - without getting the DDL for the object (or perhaps checking the block size, since the minimum chunksize is the block size) we can't say much about how unreasonable 200MB might be.

As for 900MB -
4 years usage with 6,800 rows seems to be a very small usage. It's not completely idiotic to imagine that at some point in the 4 years the number of rows climbed by a factor of 4.5 and then dropped - or that someone did something that updated all the rows a couple of times before committing or rolling back. If you really wanted to figure out whether or not this happened you could always dump the whole lobindex and take a close look at the key values.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com