Re: Scripting language for DBAs

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:22:30 +0200

On 04/19/2012 07:41 PM, Gerard H. Pille wrote:
> I use ksh with one or more sqlplus co-processes.
>
> Communication happens with "print -p" and "read -p", there are no limits
> to what you can achieve this way.

If conditions permit (i.e. appropriate software is installed on all systems I'd have to work with regularly) I still prefer a language which allows for definition of data types and has good integration of RDBMS communication. Granted, aforementioned precondition is not really a low bar - especially when working on a large set of different systems - so your approach might be more practical.

> Apart from world peace.

:-)

Ruby is no better at that:

irb(main):002:0> class Planet; end
=> nil
irb(main):003:0> world = Planet.new
=> #<Planet:0x85cfb2c>
irb(main):004:0> world.peace!
NoMethodError: undefined method `peace!' for #<Planet:0x85cfb2c>

	from (irb):4
	from /usr/local/bin/irb19:12:in `<main>'

Kind regards

        robert Received on Fri Apr 20 2012 - 08:22:30 CDT

Original text of this message