Re: Scripting language for DBAs

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:38:24 +0200

Aha, understood. Btw. Ruby is mid 1990s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_%28programming_language%29 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_MRI

> Interesting. I'll have a second look at Ruby, can think of a couple of
> areas where that'd be of use.
>

>> OK, 'nuff advertising. ;-)
>
> Nothin' wrong with directed advertising! :-)

:-)

If you want to get an overview of Oniguruma (Ruby 1.9.*'s regexp engine) there's a page at
http://www.geocities.jp/kosako3/oniguruma/doc/RE.txt

In section 9 you'll see that you can even match nested expressions which are non regular (i.e. context free); this can be used for example to match math expressions with arbitrary nesting of pairs of brackets.

Kind regards

        robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/