Re: 11G Statistics Collection

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 15:02:47 +1000

Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 17/04/2012 8:47 AM:

> I don't understand your reasoning. Would you allow a duhveloper with a
> cunning plan of the Baldrick type to implement it in production without
> the proper QA? If the answer to that question is a resounding "no", why
> would you allow a potentially disastrous thing like stats collection to
> happen without QA, automatically?
> This is something that every DBA should have in his cubicle, to resist an
> impulse to change things with the weather or new technology:

Indeed. Very well put and simple in concept. Yet try to make some Oracle-heads - who have never set foot in a production site... - understand that auto stats collection is demented at best? Oh, it sounds sooooo good - "a database that magically "manages itself"... Look, we can now add the cost of expensive dbas to the licence costs!" As if... Received on Tue Apr 17 2012 - 00:02:47 CDT

Original text of this message