Re: Scripting language for DBAs

From: onedbguru <onedbguru_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:48:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:52:53 PM UTC-4, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:01:36 -0700, onedbguru wrote:
>
> > QUIT THINKING YOU KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST TOOL AND TEST TO MAKE SURE YOU
> > ARE USING THE BEST TOOL FOR THE JOB - REGARDLESS OF WHAT IS "COOL".
>
> OK, I got it, no need for capital letters. So, how would you rate
> scripting languages for a DBA? What would be the criteria to determine
> the best tool for the job?
>

> --
> http://mgogala.byethost5.com

;) It really depends.

  1. sql
  2. pl/sql
  3. shell script (bash, ksh, c)
  4. perl, python or php
  5. DCL 5 (in no particular order) c, FORTRAN, COBOL, BASIC

it really depends on the end goal and the platform needed and what is available. Received on Thu Apr 12 2012 - 16:48:14 CDT

Original text of this message