Re: Oracle 10g = bloatware?

From: Matthias Hoys <matthias.hoys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:00:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:42:58 PM UTC+2, Kay Kanekowski wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
> what is the right posting ? In your posting from 16:35 the 10g sum is
> 211 MB and 11g sum is 945 MB.
> If the sums in this thread are real then i expect there will lot a of
> free space in the dba_extents. And the export/import is the old
> fashioned way to elimante this free space. Test it in the 10g database
> with some 'alter table ... move' statement. The sum of bytes in
> dba_extents will be smaller than now.
>
> hth
> Kay

My second posting is the correct one - I did a reverse copy/paste in the first post, but I removed it immediately. alter table ... move might help indeed, but I wonder why it got so bloated in the first place. This is a table in a locally managed tablespace with automatic extent allocation and ASSM... lots of inserts, but almost no deletes or updates...

Matthias Received on Thu Apr 12 2012 - 03:00:53 CDT

Original text of this message