Re: yup...

From: onedbguru <onedbguru_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:11:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:14:00 PM UTC-4, zigz..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:57:18 AM UTC-4, Noons wrote:
> > http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/16/us-oracle-idUSBRE82F0SF20120316
> >
> > when one artificially props up loser product lines for years in a row
> > while milking the cash cow to death to support them
> > and deriding and disparaging the very same folks who always supported said cow
> > the temptation to call it "shooting one's foot off" is very strong!
> >
> > Let's hope the thing's is a millipede and will survive on the remaining feet...
>

> On Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:57:18 AM UTC-4, Noons wrote:
> > http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/16/us-oracle-idUSBRE82F0SF20120316
> >
> > when one artificially props up loser product lines for years in a row
> > while milking the cash cow to death to support them
> > and deriding and disparaging the very same folks who always supported said cow
> > the temptation to call it "shooting one's foot off" is very strong!
> >
> > Let's hope the thing's is a millipede and will survive on the remaining feet...
>
> >>Hana persists the in-memory analytics database to disk, making
> everything eventually consistent. It streams the transactions to
> disk. http://www.enterpriseirregulars.com/39209/the-real-potential-impact-of-sap-hana/#comment-19346
> JG:
> Tnanks, link has some nice other links. found them very useful/
>
> On Saturday, March 17, 2012 6:57:18 AM UTC-4, Noons wrote:
> > http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/16/us-oracle-idUSBRE82F0SF20120316
> >
> > when one artificially props up loser product lines for years in a row
> > while milking the cash cow to death to support them
> > and deriding and disparaging the very same folks who always supported said cow
> > the temptation to call it "shooting one's foot off" is very strong!
> >
> > Let's hope the thing's is a millipede and will survive on the remaining feet...

What I found interesting was this quote from the article in the OP...

"Some analysts believe buying Sun has undermined sales of Ellison's software because it put Oracle in direct competition with hardware makers who had long been some of the biggest resellers of his database programs and other products.

"They made a mistake getting into the hardware business. How it resolves itself, I'm not really sure," said Fred Hickey, who has been monitoring Oracle since the 1980s and is editor of the High-Tech Strategist Newsletter for investors."

I would say ask DEC (Digital Equip. Corp) what happens when it tries to sell their own db engine as well as that of their competitors (in this case: Oracle)... Received on Tue Mar 20 2012 - 19:11:38 CDT

Original text of this message