Re: DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO

From: Peter Schneider <pschneider1968_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:55:00 +0100

Am 22.02.2012 18:46, schrieb Mark D Powell:

> Push and Pop are the standard terms used with stack management
> theory. You push entries onto the stack and pop them off. Normally a
> stack is last in first out as opposed to a queue which is FIFO, first
> in first out.
>
> Anyway, what Peter, was suggesting is that you consider implementing
> your own procedure name tracing stack routine.

Yes, exactly.

> It really depends on it you need the complete call history recorded or
> you just need to know what a procedure is doing now.
>
> How practical and useful this idea really is depends on your
> application and if you intend to code this into every procedure or
> just selected ones. Be careful you do not add a lot of unnecessary
> overhead to your code.

When a complete call graph is not strictly necessary, however ExecMan is just concerned with having more detailed information about what his code is doing *currently* instead of just knowing procedure entry, then I'd suggest to have a close look at DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO.SET_SESSION_LONGOPS:

http://goo.gl/mqPaz

E.g. one could use this inside a nested cursor loop whatsoever and call it every, say, 100 records. It allows monitoring via V$SESSION_LONGOPS view.

Regards
Peter

--
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what
you don't like, and do what you'd rather not. -- Mark Twain