Re: Test Message

From: Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid>
Date: 17 Feb 2012 17:35:29 GMT

joel garry wrote:

> On Feb 17, 3:29 am, "Preston" <dontwant..._at_nowhere.invalid> wrote:
> > Eric wrote:

> > > Not true. Cancels tend to be ignored, which was the whole point
> > > of the exercise.
> >
> > You're wasting your time Eric. Even if you accept the frankly
> > ludicrous premise that spammers either read replies to their posts
> > or read a group before spamming it, most usenet servers don't
> > honour cancel requests, & neither does Google Groups. The only way
> > a cancel sometimes works is if you send it within seconds of the
> > original, before the post leaves your provider's server.
> >
> > The only thing David & Joel achieve by replying to them is to
> > propogate the spam to everyone who didn't see the original due to
> > using a proper usenet provider and/or local rules. But I've been
> > down this road with them several times before to no avail.
> >
> > --
> > Preston.
>
> Google groups has honored every request I've ever made, some even
> months after they were posted (forgeries not posted by me, I never
> would have even thought to look until I accidentally ran across one,
> then knew what to look for).

Google Groups isn't usenet. If you cancel a post on GG, it disappears from GG - it doesn't disappear from all the other usenet servers around the world. Most providers don't honour cancel requests due to abuse of the process.

> You still fail to realize spammers
> aren't a homogenous group, they don't all use the same spamware, they
> have different motivations. I've personally been thanked by some who
> were clueless (rare indeed, but it has happened).

They all have the same motivation - to publish information. If you think they'll take notice of requests to bugger off, you could just email them instead rather than letting the rest of us know of their existence.

> Causality is
> difficult to establish, but notice, this group is still here.

Why wouldn't it be? Usenet groups rarely if ever get deleted.

> I note Eric never said how he tried to cancel.
> http://noms.icanhascheezburger.com/2012/02/13/funny-food-photos-youre-
> doing-it-wrong-3/
>
> All I can guess is you guys are talking about something else and
> calling it a cancel

There is only one way to cancel a usenet post, & that's to send another post with a 'cancel' header referencing the original. There's an RFC for it, like everything else to do with usenet.

> and perhaps have some strange ideas about propagation.

Not at all, that's simple too. I do however wonder if you think Google Groups *is* usenet; you wouldn't be the first.

--
Preston.