Re: ASSM vs. non-ASSM

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:13:42 +1100

Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 26/01/2012 3:41 AM:
> I am engaged in a discussion about moving from 10g --> 11g. The
> tablespaces in this particular 10G are all created with the manual
> segment space management. I am reading the blogs and am aware of all the
> troubles that ASSM can cause, ranging from wasting space to problems with
> the free lists and even some spurious corruption issues.
> However, Oracle made ASSM default in version 10g, and this project is
> about upgrading a large production DB. What are the opinions here? Does
> it make sense to go with manual SSM or should I go with ASSM?

Been running ASSM in our patched up 10.2.0.3 DW without any issues - so far. Going 11.2.0.3 in a matter of months and will definitely keep ASSM. Spurious corruptions were all patched up in 10r2. So were most of the space problems, and the remaining I've been able to keep under control with scheduled in-place reorgs.
I can't talk about the stability of ASSM in 11gr2, but if it is like in my current 10gr2 setup, I'll be happy. Received on Fri Jan 27 2012 - 06:13:42 CST

Original text of this message