Re: SCN wrapping

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:58:55 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 24, 9:46 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 12:03 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks, that MOS article helped to clear up the confusion a bit :-)
> > > Looks like the bug was already fixed in the 11.2.0.3 server patch set.
>
> > > And this is what they say about pre-11g versions:
>
> > >  "This fix is *NOT* required in any release prior to 11g.
> > >  For 11g onwards this fix is already included in various Patch Set
> > >  Updates and bundles as listed above."
>
> > > *getting even more confused*
>
> > > Matthias Hoys
>
> > As I understand it, there are several issues, working together.  The
> > SCN being propagated among distributed databases appears to have been
> > around a long time, but never really had a problem because of the
> > large scale of the variable.  The bug that congealed the problem seems
> > to be the begin database backup which would elevate the SCN too fast.
> > That would only really be a problem for a large system with many links
> > and much usage of bcp style backups, where people would backup whole
> > dbs with a snapshot, rather than tablespaces, and the SCN jumps
> > propagating would multiply the problem.  Since it could happen, but
> > usually doesn't, they distribute a script to say red, amber or green
> > light, so most people get warm and fuzzy green lights.
>
> > But now that we know that, it is a simple matter to poison a system by
> > hacking the controlfiles of an obscure database, then propagate with a
> > mere access over a link.  You don't need the unpatched backup to have
> > the problem happen, someone can make it happen.  It may just be a
> > matter of time until it gets to the script-kiddie point (I haven't
> > looked yet this morning).
>
> > jg
> > --
> > _at_home.com is bogus.http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/01/intel-oracle-hp/-Hide quoted text -

> This bug is not nearly as risky as the InfoWorld article made out.  On
> its own it is not likely to occur.  As far as a DOS attach goes if you
> have proper control of your network and do not allow remote non-
> controlled databases to link into yours then you can wait the time it
> takes to upgrade/patch to a protected version in the normal course of
> business.
>
> You can implement monitoring of your SCN number and spit out an alert
> or other form of warning message to identify an attach taking place.
>
> IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

Ah, I missed the bit about ora-600 on the victim db if you went over a reasonable SCN. Going through Bug 11767824: HIGH SCN VALUES / ORA-600 [2252] ERRORS while trying to understand what Jonathan said in some places helped me understand much more. That shows the issue was there in 10, even if that was kind of solved (or at least known and trackable) and then made worse with the backup bug in 11.

Still glad I hadn't gone to snapshots and 11g though, even if only through the luck of the budget-deprived. I'm definitely on the lag side of http://mwidlake.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/friday-philosophy-lead-or-lag-when-to-upgrade/

You, Billy and Jonathan have brought me over to the tempest in a teapot view, thanks.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120124-711190.html