Re: Sorry, but...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:30:32 +1100

Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 16/01/2012 3:49 PM:

> I would say it was the best I have ever worked with. It certainly beats
> MVS. I used to hate working on 3278 terminals with passion, even with TSO.

I used to work with a sales rep who thought TSO stood for Technical Support Organisation

.
.
.

MVS was horrible from the user interface point of view. Very efficient otherwise. TSO was a grafted-on after thought.

The best by far was VS9 from Sperry (ex RCA Spectra). True virtual memory. Files were treated same as memory. And the file system was the closest thing I've ever seen to ASM, with volume groups and spanned files! Then again, it had a proper upbringing with Dijkstra himself having been involved in the original.

I recall using a VS/9 (Univac 90/70) system with a crt terminal in the mid-70s at the ministry of the interior in Portugal, during my uni days. At a time when punched cards ruled! VS/9 used crt terminals almost from day one, back in the late 60s!

OS1100 (Exec II, later EXEC 8, then OS1100) was very easy to use with the same control language for both batch and interactive - night and day from TSO and didn't need a separate product for the crt interface - and very efficient. But Sperry never knew how to market it against IBM so it died - much later, after the whole lot became Unisys. Actually I think they still market a Clearpath IX series, a derivative/evolution of the 2200 series.

The "Uni" in Unisys comes from the original "Univac". Received on Mon Jan 16 2012 - 05:30:32 CST

Original text of this message