Re: Performance of Oracle on Windows 7

From: onedbguru <onedbguru_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:33:32 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 11, 10:03 am, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 10, 9:57 pm, Big George <jbet..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > Recently I've got an interesting question of a friend. At his office,
> > he's got some PC with 6GB of memory and Core i7 as processor. But
> > those PC's motherboards only support Windows XP or 7, not Windows
> > Server 2003.
>
> > If he installs Oracle 11g on a Windows 7 - 64 bits in a PC with those
> > hardware features, how many concurrent connections could support the
> > database? Same as in a Windows Server with less hardware power?
> > Wouldn't be too much difference than a Windows Server 2003 or 2008?
>
> There is either a 10 or 20 connection limit on Windows 7 Professional
> or Windows 7 Ultimate.  I have not verified whether or not this limit
> is hard enforced to prevent the 11th (or 21st) computer from being
> able to open a TCP connection.
>
> You can view the license agreement for Windows 7 here:http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTe...
> Quoting from the document titled "MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
> WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL":
> "e. Device Connections. You may allow up to 20 other devices to access
> software installed on the licensed computer to use only File Services,
> Print Services, Internet Information Services and Internet Connection
> Sharing and Telephony Services."
>
> It could be argued that Oracle Database is not one of the services
> listed, and thus could not be legally used to host an Oracle Database
> instance that is accessed by other computers.  When you consider the
> cost of even a single CPU license for Oracle Database Standard
> Edition, the roughly (US) $700 cost (plus cost of CALs, but you might
> be able to use a reduced functionality version) for Windows Server
> 2008 Standard is cheap (Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 share a
> common kernel, so it should run on the computer).
>
> Charles Hooperhttp://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
> IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.

If he is going to use this soley as a database server - have him erase the hard drive and install Oracle Enterprise Linux - it will perform much better than W and cause fewer headaches such as when Windows reboots in the middle of the night to apply the patch-of-the-week... And need to turn off the "You need Admin Privs to do that..." Received on Wed Jan 11 2012 - 14:33:32 CST

Original text of this message