Re: Performance of Oracle on Windows 7

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2001_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:03:45 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 10, 9:57 pm, Big George <jbet..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I've got an interesting question of a friend. At his office,
> he's got some PC with 6GB of memory and Core i7 as processor. But
> those PC's motherboards only support Windows XP or 7, not Windows
> Server 2003.
>
> If he installs Oracle 11g on a Windows 7 - 64 bits in a PC with those
> hardware features, how many concurrent connections could support the
> database? Same as in a Windows Server with less hardware power?
> Wouldn't be too much difference than a Windows Server 2003 or 2008?

There is either a 10 or 20 connection limit on Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate. I have not verified whether or not this limit is hard enforced to prevent the 11th (or 21st) computer from being able to open a TCP connection.

You can view the license agreement for Windows 7 here: http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx Quoting from the document titled "MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL":
"e. Device Connections. You may allow up to 20 other devices to access software installed on the licensed computer to use only File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services and Internet Connection Sharing and Telephony Services."

It could be argued that Oracle Database is not one of the services listed, and thus could not be legally used to host an Oracle Database instance that is accessed by other computers. When you consider the cost of even a single CPU license for Oracle Database Standard Edition, the roughly (US) $700 cost (plus cost of CALs, but you might be able to use a reduced functionality version) for Windows Server 2008 Standard is cheap (Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 share a common kernel, so it should run on the computer).

Charles Hooper
http://hoopercharles.wordpress.com/
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Wed Jan 11 2012 - 09:03:45 CST

Original text of this message