Re: Sorry, but...

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 12:35:24 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:18:37 -0800, Noons wrote:

> This is one of the great fallacies of the shared vs dedicated db server
> nonsense.

Shared server is unfortunately largely ignored. It is a great option for saving resources. I am amazed that many companies are building gigantic computers, having 64GB of RAM, rather than try saving some RAM with the shared server.
On the other hand, shared server is not being used very much, which usually means it is buggy. I don't have the facts, the company that I work for uses only the dedicated server connections, but I think that some optimizer bugs and memory leaks should be expected. That is a useful technology and is being completely wasted, primarily by marketing.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com