Re: [ANN] ODB C++ ORM 1.7.0 released, adds support for Oracle

From: Eric <eric_at_deptj.eu>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 23:47:47 +0000

On 2011-12-08, Boris Kolpackov <boris_at_codesynthesis.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am pleased to announce the release of ODB 1.7.0.
>
> ODB is an open-source object-relational mapping (ORM) system for C++. It
> allows you to persist C++ objects to a relational database without having
> to deal with tables, columns, or SQL and without manually writing any of
> the mapping code.
>
> Major new features in this release:
>
> * Support for the Oracle database, including updates to the Boost
> and Qt profiles.

What the...? Oh, you mean you did Oracle in a couple of add-on bits as well as the core product. Would have been embarrassing to not do them of course.

> * Support for optimistic concurrency using object versioning.

Oracle does its own optimistic concurrency, so do you mean it will be done twice at two different levels?

> * Support for SQL statement execution tracing.

That will be the SQL that you don't have to deal with then.

Remainder omitted, but I had a quick look at your links, the Oracle Limitations bit is fun:

Identifier Truncation : of course you couldn't possibly come up with a name-mapping scheme that would cover most cases.

Query Result Caching : makes no sense at all, you seem to have taken something that is generally considered good and made it out to be a bad thing. Maybe I haven't understood what you meant, but I'm still fairly sure that you haven't understood OCI.

Foreign Key Constraints : all you have said here is, "if you want to do it that way you have to tell Oracle". That's not a limitation.

Unique Constraint Violations : the violated constraint is named in the error message. What's wrong with you?

Large FLOAT and NUMBER Types : "Oracle can do better numeric precision than us, you'll just have to deal with it in your program."

But then what do I expect? If you just want persistence for your program, buy a persistence tool. You have no idea why relational databases were invented, you think your program is more important than the data it processes, you do not understand the concept of efficient data storage in the presence of diverse retrieval requirements, and if there was a fashion for shoes without soles you would wear them and blame the ground for being uneven.

Eric

--
ms fnd in a lbry