Re: Real Application Cluster

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 13:05:05 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 9, 4:26 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:

> > one rarely sees that stuff discussed. Am I the only one who notices this
> > discrepancy? Are all those RAC system functioning flawlessly?
> > I wonder what will the advent of NUMA technology do to RAC? NUMA
> > technologies like HP Superdome and SGI Altix are still expensive, but the
> > new generation of AMD motherboards are getting really cheap and powerful.

Well, how about a simple question: do you really need RAC? Moans asked it quite a few years ago, but afaik few actually provided an answer.

I'm continually told by the "experts" that I need to have RAC in my DW.
Our DW had 0 (that is Z-E-R-O!) unscheduled downtime in the last 3 years.
Scheduled outages, two were for Oracle patches that needed to be installed (20 minutes in total) and one was for an Aix upgrade and patching of our Power6 box - the whole system, not just the DW lpars (half a day).
Our DW does 8TB of I/O per day - that's 100MB/s continuous sustained 24/7, in case maths fail anyone - so it's most definitely not a toy setup.

Now, I know that a bank here in NSW has installed a monster RAC system at a cost of hundreds of millions and since then had at least three unscheduled outages that were publicly reported, let alone all the niggly patching they had to go through to get the blessed thing working.

I kinda think that three scheduled outages in 3 years and 0 (zero) unscheduled beats all that RAC paraphernalia any day, at orders of magnitude lesser cost. But who am I to claim such? Heck: I'm not even an "ace" - and will never be one! - so what credibility do I have?

> Don't forget the logic here is filtered through management and
> marketing.  In reality, the ongoing technical management issues are
> site-dependent.  Some configurations may have been a toss-up in the
> first place as to whether they need RAC.

Amen! Received on Thu Dec 08 2011 - 15:05:05 CST

Original text of this message