So what tool would one use these days.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 09:49:22 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 7, 5:37 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 1:15 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It wouldn't be too late to rewrite all those apps in Perl. It's portable,
> > powerful and much more convenient than Java. Gosling and McNealy could
> > say that Java was a prank gone bad and that they have never thought that
> > it would catch on like it did. Also, rewriting all those applications in
> > Perl would dramatically improve employment figures in the US.
>
> Or it likely could help deliver (con)Fusion on time and on budget?
> Instead of the total debacle it's been...
>
> Heck, the Attorney General Department here in NSW never delivered a
> multi-million dollar development in j2ee after 10 (T-E-N!!!!) years of
> duh-velopment.  Eventually they threw the whole lot out, as they
> should have done 10 years before if they had had any brains to start
> with...
>
> But you'd hear the bozos there talking about their "application" as if
> it was the second coming!
> "It far surpasses anything ever done, look: see this bynamic drop box?
> Amazing, isn't it?"  and other pearls (no pun intended!) of
> "development nirvana" I witnessed.
>
> When in 2003 I asked how many screens they had to do, they said: "28!
> It is a MAJOR system, do you understand?".
> Of course: me delivering in 2004 a fully operational 78 screen
> application to NSW Mining Department in 8 months, fully debugged and
> tested, was a figment to be ignored.
> Because it was done in Forms, instead of a "proper environment".
>
> Anyone asking me to have ANY respect for these bozos is asking the
> impossible.

I suddenly had a question thrown at me, this isn't hypothetical:

Have about 10000 variants of graphics files, which actually are about 1000 fixed variants plus some variable text. Question is, how big of a project would it be to put those in an Oracle db, and be able to combine 2 graphics with the text into a more complex graphic, and print a bunch of those. I've seen various ways of inserting LOB's into Oracle (including Mladen's perl article about it, thanks once again!), but I'm real hazy on the front end. Soliciting advice, especially if there is an apex example of something similar - I haven't seen the cookbook yet, I don't know what is in there.

I last did something like this with 9iAS, I don't have that code, and AS (or whatever it is now) is not an option, and I remember zilch. But if there are packages that do this exact thing I need (even on SS), I'd appreciate hearing about that too. I don't want to do 10000 things one at a time, which is all I've seen with my too-brief look so far. Illustrator is in use, with graphics in directories.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.itproportal.com/2011/12/08/oracle-suffers-blow-google-android-lawsuit-important-patent-rejected/