Re: Ooooops!....

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 03:19:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 17:37:16 -0800, Noons wrote:

> When in 2003 I asked how many screens they had to do, they said: "28! It
> is a MAJOR system, do you understand?". Of course: me delivering in 2004
> a fully operational 78 screen application to NSW Mining Department in 8
> months, fully debugged and tested, was a figment to be ignored.
> Because it was done in Forms, instead of a "proper environment".

One of the great mistakes by Oracle Corp. is downplaying and eventually extinguishing Oracle*Forms. Oracle 3.0 was a phenomenally useful and simple tool. Unfortunately, it didn't have GUI (or gooey) interface. Oracle*Forms 4.x was slightly more complex but still usable. After that, I've never seen anybody using it. Frankly, Groovy and Hibernate are far too complex and are frequently creating more problems than they're solving.
Unfortunately, Java is the new COBOL. COBOL, as you know, used to stand for Completely Obsolete and Badly Overused Language. Just as COBOL was utilized by the vast majority of companies right up, until 2000, Java is going the same way. IT is very akin to the fashion industry. Sometimes, good things like Oracle*Forms are simply no longer in, just like bell bottom pants. Larry has always had good nose for fashion. I don't know whether Larry wears Prada, but it would be appropriate.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com