Re: split mirror backups

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 13:16:56 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 2, 7:01 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I have worked with BCV splits earlier in this century (EMC Symmetrix, at
> OXHP) and, as far as I can remember, we didn't do SUSPEND/RESUME, we
> turned all tablespaces into BEGIN BACKUP mode just before split, then did
> the split, and then issued the END BACKUP command.

That's my understanding as well with the Symmetrix series although I don't do SAN-based backups anymore.
With the Clarions, I don't think BCVs are available and hence you can't really do beginbackup/endbackup.
In our case (long gone now) we simply did a synchronous replication mirror to another SAN and split it as a group. The only problem there is that all luns involved with the database have to belong to a single replication group and on Clarions the maximum number of luns in a synchrep group is 16. That means you have to use larger, lesser luns for a database group - rather than smaller and many. Received on Mon Dec 05 2011 - 15:16:56 CST

Original text of this message