Application Database Optimization - Calling all experts

From: Yash <yash2.mehta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 02:54:55 -0800 (PST)

Dear Group,
I am puzzled by the problem which is very interdisciplinary in nature. I would like to seek your views on the same.

We have an application (a kind of middle ware) entrusted with processing the messages. The current architecture uses the JDO for data persistence (a design before 2004). Application is chatty in nature and doing lots of lookup, updates etc. Now the application is subjected to a large file and need to process approx. million transactions and is facing scalability issues.

I am researching the options to improve the performance and exploring the areas like

  1. Replacement of JDO with any other tool which does persistence at application level
  2. Using the advanced features of Oracle (RAC, Grid Computing, Golden Gate) and do away with the application level persistence

I have a strong conviction that advancement of Oracle in all these years will give rise to technological obsolescence of application persistence.

My questions
1. What new features in OracleDB should I look/research further to expedite the processing
2. Is there any strong tried and tested third party tools for data persistence
3. What are the key parameters should I look for while devising a solutions (current data analysis - exisiting infra, hardware improvements, memory improvements, optimization of queries etc.)

Any suggestions/pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Yash Received on Tue Nov 29 2011 - 04:54:55 CST

Original text of this message