Re: Migration from AS/400 to oracle database 11G

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:20:17 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 28, 6:29 am, Sampi <jre..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> I am currently working on a project to migrate all information from an
> IBM AS/400 + 1TeraByte a version of Oracle 11g database, all
> information I can provide in this regard would be very useful to me.
>
> Topics as:
>
> processing time

Depends. Since some database engines can be accessed through heterogenous services, it starts at 0. Actually moving the data depends on hardware and network resources available, as well as requirements for down time windows. Some things could take weeks or months, for example, if some application requires substantial data modifications and code changes.

> good practice

Practice, practice practice.

> data verification

That's a large subject, you need a requirements specification to start.

> referential integrity

Oracle has had it for decades, but there are many consequences. I suggest you start by reading the Oracle 11.2 concepts manual, then see the books by Tom Kyte to see things that you may need to relearn. Then read the concepts manual again.

The more information you provide, the better advice you can get. To start, 11g isn't a version of Oracle, 11.2.0.4 would be a version of Oracle. There have been some discussions on forums.oracle.com, you might point a google search there.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://cavemancircus.com/2010/01/12/15-awesome-things-found-on-google-street-view/