Re: Oracle VM Server on VirtualBox

From: mhoys <matthias.hoys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 00:44:34 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 23, 12:02 pm, Avi Miller <avi.mil..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2011-11-21 09:29:37 +0000, mhoys said:
>
> > Did anyone try to install Oracle VM Server on Oracle Linux on
> > VirtualBox on Windows 7 64-bit? Would be nice if this works...
>
> This is not supported -- VirtualBox doesn't provide the full dmidecode
> information required by the Oracle VM Server discovery process. Also,
> there is little benefit to running a hypervisor inside a hypervisor: it
> would be almost impossible to run anything meaningful within the
> VirtualBox instance.

Well, I don't really care about support... this is for testing purposes only.
As a matter of fact, I got Oracle VM Server 3.0.2 and Oracle VM Manager 3.0.2 up and running, both on 2 VirtualBox virtual machines on my Windows 7 64-bit desktop PC with 4 GB RAM. I used Oracle Linux 6.1 as the OS for VM Manager, and I choose the "Simple" install (using Oracle XE as repository).
However, I'm unable to discover my VM Server from the VM Manager - so your remark is probably correct.
Another issue is the memory usage: my VM Server currently has 1 GB and the VM Manager has 1,5 GB, so there's not much free memory left to create any additional virtual machines...

Thanks for the feedback,
Matthias Hoys Received on Thu Nov 24 2011 - 02:44:34 CST

Original text of this message