Re: Running Oracle 10gR2 without paying extended support

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 06:16:48 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 21, 7:24 pm, DG problem <skatef..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are licenced to run 10g and it ends premier support, as it did
> in July 2010, then are you required to pay for extended support? Or,
> is it legal not to pay extended support until you need it and in that
> case you have to backpay the extended support? Also, how much is
> extended support? Even if you continue to pay your yearly Oracle
> support costs, you would still need to pay extended support on top of
> this?
>
> I would think that you have to pay extended support starting from July
> 2010 (for 10gR2), however, I'm having problems convincing other people
> of this.

In the past we never purchased extented support but we did maintain our maintenance contract payments. Oracle support has always provided us support for our software. With old, out of active support, software Oracle support has tried to match our problem to a known bug. It such a bug was identified and a patch exists Oracle suport provided it. For unmatched or new bugs no fix will be provided.

But by continuing to pay your regular maintenance fee you are entitled to upgrade which will be suport's standard response to all problems; however, support will do what it can, but as the emphasis in one newer, supported releases your support options are limited to known issues.

If you allow your maintenance fee to lapse then all bets are off to if Oracle would even accept a maintenance contract for an old unsupported version.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Nov 22 2011 - 08:16:48 CST

Original text of this message