Re: RMAN restore 11.2.0.2 not honoring symbolic link

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 06:43:54 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 4, 4:05 pm, Joseph210 <lee..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When we upgraded our database from 11.2.0.1 to 11.2.0.2, we have
> discoverd that Oracle is not honoring symbolic links--the symbolic
> links get overwritten directly when there is a media failure,
> datafiles missing or deleted.
>
> In our environment, we use symbolic links under /oracle/data/SID/dbf
> to point to /packages/data/dbf ....
>
> Have you encountered this problem and found a simple workaround? We
> are opening a case with Oracle.
>
> thanks,
>
> Joseph

Can you give a more complete example including specifics and error messages encountered etc?

I am using symbolic links in my environment with 11.2.0.3.0 ( 64 bit linux on OL 5.7 ) and not seeing any problems with rman restore processing etc.

I use symbolic links to point to my asm disks ( things like /storage/ test_dg1/disk1 ==> /dev/emcpowerax ) and results are just peachy so far for me. Received on Sun Nov 06 2011 - 08:43:54 CST

Original text of this message