Re: release data oracle12G

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:17:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 13:07:00 -0700, ddf wrote:
>> 12c in the sky with diamonds?
>>
>> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

> I'm expecting cubic zirconias.
>

> David Fitzjarrell

I was referring to the Beatles song called "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXfqpg-Q-k

It's a psychedelic fantasy, just like the idea of the "cloud database". Only a person on acid or some other controlled substance may believe that a significant number of companies will entrust their most critical business data to the "cloud". On the other hand, I understand that the vast majority of the group members are too young to remember the Beatles.

This comes out after a two minute on Google:

http://tinyurl.com/3f25olp
http://tinyurl.com/3fggwcy
http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/08/amazon-ec2-outage/

Those were 2 major Amazon EC2 cloud outages, affecting well known companies, twice this year, in April and August. I believe that the smart thing is to wait until the cloud is less cloudy. Also, there is no saving. The license prices are the same and the Oracle licenses are much more expensive than the underlying machine. By far the largest cost is to pay for the licenses and for the support. Cloud computing doesn't save you much when talking about serious Oracle installations and the cloud is probably much less reliable than the real boxes, maintained by the company itself.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com