Re: VirtualBox

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 00:20:21 +0100

On 11/03/2011 11:43 PM, Geoff Muldoon wrote:
> matthias.hoys_at_gmail.com says...
>>
>> On Nov 3, 6:12 pm, Mladen Gogala<gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> So far, I've been using KVM to create virtual machines on my Linux boxes.
>>> KVM is sort of tricky to set up but works well once you get through the
>>> initial hurdles. I decided to give Oracle's VirtualBox a shot and was
>>> pleasantly surprised. It's simple, it installs without much fuss, it
>>> works well and it's free. There is also a Windows version. I
>>> wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.
>
>> This year I switched from VMWare to Oracle VirtualBox for running
>> virtual Linux servers with Oracle on my desktop (first Windows XP, now
>> Windows 7), and I also like it a lot. I had some annoying issues with
>> VirtualBox 4.1.x so I'm still running version 4.0.12 which is pretty
>> stable.
>
> I too have switched from using VMWare to VirtualBox, mainly because of
> the ease of use in building new virtual machines - VMWare Player is
> free, but you need the pay-for VMWare Workstation or Server to create
> images from scratch.

VMWare Server is free - and it can create images from scratch. The major drawback which drove me from VMWare Server to Virtual Box is the limitation that you can only have a single snapshot.

> The pleasing additional benefit is that (apart from a sometimes more
> complex arrangement for sharing host<-> guest filesystems) it appears
> to be a superior product in terms of performance and functionality.

I am not so sure about performance.

Kind regards

        robert Received on Thu Nov 03 2011 - 18:20:21 CDT

Original text of this message