Re: VirtualBox

From: Geoff Muldoon <geoff.muldoon_at_trap.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 09:43:00 +1100

matthias.hoys_at_gmail.com says...

> On Nov 3, 6:12 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> > So far, I've been using KVM to create virtual machines on my Linux boxes.
> > KVM is sort of tricky to set up but works well once you get through the
> > initial hurdles. I decided to give Oracle's VirtualBox a shot and was
> > pleasantly surprised. It's simple, it installs without much fuss, it
> > works well and it's free. There is also a Windows version. I
> > wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

> This year I switched from VMWare to Oracle VirtualBox for running
> virtual Linux servers with Oracle on my desktop (first Windows XP, now
> Windows 7), and I also like it a lot. I had some annoying issues with
> VirtualBox 4.1.x so I'm still running version 4.0.12 which is pretty
> stable.

I too have switched from using VMWare to VirtualBox, mainly because of the ease of use in building new virtual machines - VMWare Player is free, but you need the pay-for VMWare Workstation or Server to create images from scratch.

The pleasing additional benefit is that (apart from a sometimes more complex arrangement for sharing host <-> guest filesystems) it appears to be a superior product in terms of performance and functionality.

I'm running 4.1.2 on a Win7-64bit host and having no problems so far, creating and running guests including WinXP, Ubuntu 11.10 and - most importantly - Oracle "Unbreakable <cough>" Linux (RHEL5 clone).

I'd would also like to run up OSX Lion too, and I know this is possible but only using pirate hacks, a pox on Apple's lawyers' houses.

GM Received on Thu Nov 03 2011 - 17:43:00 CDT

Original text of this message