Re: VirtualBox

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 18:37:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 10:53:00 -0700, joel garry wrote:

> We brought in an experienced virtualization guy who successfully got
> much implemented, saving big bucks. Problem was, it was Virtual Iron,
> which Oracle then bought and terminated with extreme prejudice. So once
> again, Oracle has made recommending anything from Oracle an uphill
> battle. Now with the non-Oracle product that replaced VI, I've heard
> things like "I'm going to go back to real hardware" from managers.

I started playing with Virtualbox because it was impossible to get any kind of RAC on Fedora. Knowing about the Oracle penchant for requiring Oracle products, I decided to give VirtualBox a try. What I need virtual machines for is to create guest OS installation and test it. I was able to test and reject Gnome 3 without much pain and do the same thing with Unity. I'm also testing CentOS 6 because F15 and its "systemd", yet another replacement for the init process, is seriously annoying and starts a gazillion of strange processes and threads. I don't want to keep reformatting drives while playing with the various distributions. So far, VirtualBox looks quite good for what I need.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com