SQL text truncation in Windows trace files

From: Tesseract <guard.squeeze.8421_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:25:06 -0700 (PDT)

For various reasons I have tracing turned on for some Oracle sessions.

Certain SQL commands, apparently those which can potentially contain a password (e.g. create user, alter role etc.), are truncated to 25 characters when recorded in the session trace file. If I look for "create public database link ..." then all I see is "create public datbase li" and if there is a comment in there (e.g. "create /* some arbitrary comment text */ public database link ...") then the situation is even worse.

I assume this is some sort of security feature, although a better one would be to mask out the passwords. Is there some way to turn off the truncation? The trace files are not readable by anyone without the requisite authority so security in this installation is not an issue.

I have not tested any version of Oracle earlier than 10.2 but the truncation occurs there and in 11.x. Received on Tue Oct 11 2011 - 19:25:06 CDT

Original text of this message