Re: Oracle joins the NoSQL fray

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:54:08 +0200

On 10.10.2011 08:59, CarlosAL wrote:
> On Oct 10, 7:22 am, Noons<wizofo..._at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> Mladen Gogala wrote,on my timestamp of 8/10/2011 7:43 AM:
>>
>> ...other than in the minds of said Java
>> developers who go all gooey when they hear "NoSQL"...
>
> Isn't it what they have been doing since jdbc appeared? (I mean, the
> SQL they usually write can be called NoSQL...)

I know it's probably fun, but please do not overgeneralize. I am a Java developer and you can trust me that I am as skeptical about the NoSQL and cloud hypes as other posters in this thread. Often it turns out that if you want to have reliability and transactional safety one has to do by hand for a NoSQL database what one gets as built in feature with an SQL database...

Having said that there are obviously domains where a NoSQL database can be used for good. It's the usual situation: you have a set of tools and for every tool there are appropriate uses and inappropriate uses. Choosing the right tool is an important task and can be tricky at times.   Hype based decisions are what you get from laziness...

Kind regards

        robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/