Re: Oracle joins the NoSQL fray

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 03:49:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 19:27:30 -0700, phil_herring_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:

> On Oct 6, 12:48 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I love Hewlett-Packard, it's a wonderful printer company!

> On the other hand, my desktop can't make up its mind. Is it a Compaq or
> an HP? It says both.
>
> Such shennanigans would never have happened when Bill and Dave were in
> charge. It would have been one or the other!
>
> -- Phil

HP messed up royally. They have very expensive high end systems which are being increasingly pushed out by much cheaper Linux systems. Cluster systems are very fashionable now and HP high end is really suffering because of it. They bought DEC, they haven't made much money out of it and they have royally messed up VMS which had a potential to bring them huge benefits, had they ported it to x86 architecture and made open source. It would have killed Linux in its infancy, primarily because VMS 5.5-2, the last one I worked with, was much more mature and stable OS than Linux is today, even with the latest kernels. They haven't made much money out of Compaq, either.
They bought 3Par, in addition to their existing EVA storage line and haven't made a splash. They have bought Polyserve, an extremely ambitious technological company making an excellent cluster FS and have completely squandered it. Nothing out of Polyserve, it all went to waste, just like VMS. Recently, they have bought Autonomy, a British software company which makes a fairly decent commercial text search engine. I don't see how is the text search engine going to fit their software line. They had a decent mind/market share with OmniBack, at one time a competitor to NetBackup and EMC Networker, nothing came out of it. HP has the Midas touch: everything they touch, they turn into a muffler.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com