Re: RMAN Incremental Level 1 if Level 0 Fails

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 06:03:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 4, 8:38 am, oraclesandi..._at_yahoo.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to David Fitzjarrell for replying to my previous question.
>
> RMAN is setup for a level 0 weekly, and a level 1 cumulative
> incremental daily.
>
> Is there a way to configure RMAN so that if the level 0 backup fails,
> the subsequent level 1
> backups will be cumulative incremental since the last successful level
> 0 backup?
>
> So, for example
>
> Sept 2 : Level 0 successful
> Sept 9:  Level 0 fails:
> Sept 10: Cumulative Incremental is from Sept 2, not Sept 9 since Sept
> 9 level 0 fails.
>
> We were able to do this with TNG Unicenter.
>
> I checked the various options, and this does not seem possible using
> RMAN. Hopefully,
> I am mistaken.
>
> Thanks,
> BG

BG, a level 1 backup is cumulative since the last successful level 0 or 1 so if a level 0 failed the next level 1 would still see the previous level 0.

However backup rarely fail except for lack of space so I do not think this is much of a concern. My preference for small databases that take 6 or less hours to back up is to use full backups daily. If you have time to make a full backup I see no reason to mess with incrementals.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Oct 04 2011 - 08:03:03 CDT

Original text of this message