Re: RMAN for Backing up Non Database Filesystems?

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 15:48:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 2, 1:05 pm, oraclesandi..._at_yahoo.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running RMAN on 10g and 11g databases (On Solaris)
>
> Is there a way to configure RMAN to backup non-database filesystems?
> (Likely, a full backup weekly, and cumulative incremental daily).
>
> Thanks,
> BG

No. From the Concepts Manual:

"Recovery Manager (RMAN)

A utility that backs up, restores, and recovers Oracle databases. You can use it with or without the central information repository called a recovery catalog. If you do not use a recovery catalog, RMAN uses the database's control file to store information necessary for backup and recovery operations. You can use RMAN in conjunction with a media manager to back up files to tertiary storage."

RMAN was not designed to backup anything other than Oracle databases (where Oracle database includes archivelogs, controlfiles, spfiles and ASM files).

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Oct 03 2011 - 17:48:59 CDT

Original text of this message