Dead Usenet Walking (Was: Re: Configuring RMAN to use controlfile instead of Recovery Catalog)

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:04:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 28, 11:01 am, Eric <e..._at_deptj.eu> wrote:
> On 2011-09-28, Paulie <linehan.p..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sep 28, 11:40?am, Sundar K <ksun..._at_a-bits.biz> wrote:
>
> >> Is it possible to make RMAN to use controlfile, from using Recovery
> >> Catalog(RC) DB ?
>
> > If I were you I would go to forums.oracle.com and ask there. The
> > groups there are active and spam-free.
>
> And full of people who don't know as much as they think they do!
>
> > As far as I can see, usenet (now transformed into groups.google.com)
> > is dead - there are now better alternatives.
>
> Usenet is not dead, it still exists as it always did, for access by
> people using real newsreader software. Google groups is just an archive
> (still useful) and an interface to current activity which is quite some
> way off being good enough.
>
> As for "better alternatives", they all depend on some person or company
> continuing to maintain the relevant website, something for which there
> is no guarantee whatsoever. Usenet is not dependent on any single person
> or company, and there is enough interest to ensure that it will be
> around for a long time yet, And there are ways of dealing with thw spam.

I fear usenet has become dependent on google. When dejanews went away, usenet nearly bit the dust. Google stepped in, and then tried to monetize it with ads. They seem to have backed away from that, but what will happen when Google decides to get rid of whoever is doing it as a side project? We see the groups slipstreaming code changes, sometimes catastrophically. I've seen a number of times where archived posts don't seem to be there anymore - mostly it is buggy google search (putting in exact subject in advanced search has been awful), but I don't have warm and fuzzy feelings about anybody caring about dusty old parts of the cloud. "Long time" has a quite malleable definition in the online world, and there is a down side to distributed responsibility - it may all evaporate.

Front ends may come and go but data is forever - for some possibly strangely limited values of forever.

That said, I hope "long time" means what we all generally think it means. And if it doesn't, I hope something will come along with compatible features.

> So please stop talking rubbish and let people realise that they will get
> answers here, though they will also be pushed into thinking for
> themselves. Anyone who wants to call themselves a DBA needs to be doing
> a fair bit of that!

Agree with all that!

jg

--