Re: Configuring RMAN to use controlfile instead of Recovery Catalog

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:06:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 28, 3:40 am, Sundar K <ksun..._at_a-bits.biz> wrote:
> I have a doubt.
>
> Is it possible to make RMAN to use controlfile, from using Recovery
> Catalog(RC) DB ?
>
> The scenario is like this:
>  I have a target db and a RC db. The RMAN presently uses RC db for
> backup and recovery.
>
> Due to some reasons, I want the RMAN to use target db controlfile,
> instead of RC.
> Is there anyway to perform this?
> If yes, I need the RMAN to understand and use backup sets, which are
> taken before switching to controlfile based backup (That is,
> controlfile should understand backup sets, which have backed-up using
> RC )
>
> Is there a way to perform these tasks?

I haven't done this myself, since I don't use a catalog, but I see there is an unregister command. You'll want to understand the delete and crosscheck commands, which do change over some versions.

There may be some other considerations, so you might want to say why you are doing this. There are also version dependencies, so it is always a good idea to state exact versions and platforms.

cdos is not dead yet. Even though I haven't updated the readme for cdos in a while, I do have a list of updates I haven't got to yet. Hmmmm, what happened to my site? First problem I've had with that ISP... well, anyways, when it comes back into the world of domains, it is http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/sep/27/meet-new-nerds/