Re: Sun box runs out of swap when starting Oracle

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 00:09:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 15:36:59 -0700, vsevolod afanassiev wrote:

> We have legacy system running Oracle 9.2.0.8. It is being migrated to
> new M5000 (Solaris 10). We are running Oracle on the physical server,
> not on Solaris Zone. The server has 128 GB memory, Oracle is configured
> with 50 GB SGA, 30 GB buffer cache, and 3 GB shared pool.
> "top" shows that around 80 GB memory is free. Swap is 8 GB, all free.

Swap looks like 18GB to me.

> Following Solaris tradition we have several tmpfs filesystems:

Tradition? Why do you need more than a single swap space? What is that good for?

> Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on swap
> 18452376 448 18451928 1% /etc/svc/ volatile
> swap 18451928 0 18451928 0% /tmp swap
> 18451992 64 18451928 1% /var/run
>
> This is test server and it is idle, there are no connections to the
> database, I am the only person connected to the server.
>
> When I tried to start Oracle with 70 GB SGA it started but server run
> out of swap.

I dunno about Slowaris, but Linux has a facility called huge pages which enables DBA people to allocate RAM which is not being paged. Slowaris must have the same capability. I read something about zones long time ago, but Slowaris is not really my forte.

> Any suggestion what could be done to avoid this problem? (other than
> increasing swap to 128 GB)

Get a decent Slowaris system administrator who uses logic and knowledge to administer the machines. This is really a Slowaris question which would probably be better answered on one of the Slowaris newsgroups. As for identifying a good Slowaris SA, it's simple. Good Slowaris SA knows the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com