Re: DB Appliance: the attack of the clones

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 17:54:06 -0700 (PDT)

Mladen:

# Times, however, are changing and I am considering writing an
article named "you probably do need RAC, although you might not realize that".

Dang looks like you are sipping from the koolaid! ( Kidding mostly! ) ///

# Namely in case of web supporting databases, 99.9% uptime requirement
is almost always mandatory. And that means RAC.....

Some people engineer ways to "go offline" periodically and temporarily disconnect while keeping web applications working. Queue stuff up somehow/somewhere and process it asynch after the database is back.

I would argue or at least assert that working to keep some kind of reasonable periodic maintenance windows ( aka allowable downtime ) is a desirable place to get to.

Remember a key concept of Moans Nogood is that typically when you drink the koolaid of RAC for 99.9 you usually end up with 99.5 or 98.2. Complications, troubleshooting skills, bugs, maintenance windows ... it never ends in the RAC world.

Maybe 10 years from now the rolling upgrades and patching stuff will be there. It is getting there now ... but getting there is a long ways from actually being there now and deployable and maintainable by everyone.

Just yanking your chain mostly! Received on Sun Sep 25 2011 - 19:54:06 CDT

Original text of this message