Re: DB Appliance: the attack of the clones

From: John Hurley <hurleyjohnb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:42:51 -0700 (PDT)

Nuno:

# it cannot scale horizontally

Neither can my dedicated database servers ... well I guess they can if we buy a different one!

# and it doesn't have enough capacity to be a single storage solution
for even a mid-sized business.

??? It has a lot more than we use ... guess you may have a pretty big idea of what a mid sized business is eh?

Is SMB different from your mid sized business concept?

# Looks to me like a fail.. Yeah, sure: lots of blogging about it.
 What else would be expected? It's a marketing campaign, not a product.

Well you need to have a product for a marketing campaign right?

Sure seems like it is both a product and a marketing campaign. Or at least it will be a product when they are officially on sale ... probably next week?

I was expecting a bigger announcement though the way the web announcement was pushed.

I was guessing that Oracle was announcing they were buying HP! Received on Sun Sep 25 2011 - 12:42:51 CDT

Original text of this message