Re: DB Appliance: the attack of the clones

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 13:46:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 23, 12:26 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:29:18 -0700, joel garry wrote:
> >  agree, Exadata v. all those others would wrest some of the market
> > from them, but between general dislike of Oracle and specific DW
> > requirements, not fatally.  But the appliance announced?  The only way I
> > imagine is perhaps some analogue of the way Google or Amazon leverage
> > quantities of commodity servers, and really I would only see Amazon
> > doing something like that, anyone else would just use the commodity
> > servers, anything large would have to have RAC expertise available
> > anyways.  One would think.
>
> I don't see the appliance as very successful on the low end. It's still a
> hefty two node RAC, licensed per CPU. Exadata is rather successful
> because it's a racing car: a high end contraption built for speed, with
> the premium price. Appliance looks like a crossbreed: body of a Ferrari
> and engine of Ford Taurus. It's neither as fast as a Ferrari nor it has
> the luggage space of a Taurus. This is not the first "Oracle Database
> Appliance". Hopefully, this time it'll fare a bit better.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

I think we are agreed, although I was wondering if perhaps there is some market of linux/rac clusters looking for an upgrade less than hexadata. Thinking on that, there might be a lot of those, people who drank the kool-aid 4-5 years ago. Those who can mine support contract info might have seen that and gone hmmm, turn those sour old 30-hour- configuring-and-still-not-working lemon-memories into let's-kick-some- life-into-the-old-Sun-we-got-on-the-cheap-ade. Just add marketing sugar and stir the blogosphere.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Oh, I thought they said RAT In The Box http://youtu.be/dY-FOI-9SOE